Monday 4 September 2017

Random Thoughts #4 (Time Travel my favorite trope in film)

There has not been a single movie that I've seen that uses time travel that I didn't like. Some of my favorite movies of all time use this trope. From It's a Wonderful Life ( you could argue it's an alternate time line that Clarence shows George) to Back to the Future's Doc and Marty's shenanigans to Phil from Groundhog Day and Cage from Live,Die,Repeat reliving the day over and over again.

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna see some serious shit"

So what is it about time travel that keeps me coming back to it over and over again ? I guess maybe it's because who has never wanted to change something that had happened in their life ? Most time travel movies are about people trying to prevent certain things from happening and trying to rewrite history. Now I don't wanna go back and kill dictators or anything. But I sometimes look back at my life and think like, "you know what if I made this decision instead of this ?" Time travel movies realize that decision and hence my love for them I guess. Also the idea of multiple timelines and alternate realities have always fascinated me since the idea was introduced to me by the DC multiverse. Also general love of sci-fi and being a Physics student factors into the love towards the genre.

So in the highly unlikely event of actually being given the opportunity to time travel would I do it ? Hell yes I would. But it won't be to change anything that I have done in my life. But rather to relive and experience the best moments of my life again, exactly the same as before ! Because if there is one life lesson Doc,Marty and Barry Allen taught me is that you shouldn't mess with the timeline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment